BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 05:13 PM

NY Post: Picking USA WBC 2017 Dream Team - If Players Go

http://nypost.com/20...-if-players-go/

I might be in the minority here, but I would rather see a team of amateurs make up the U.S. squad. 

I love watching the WBC. But the brand of baseball the MLB guys play is no fun if you are trying to win. It makes little sense if you are trying to win to yank Clayton Kershaw after three perfect innings. 

So, just go with college players, or teams top prospects who might benefit from more ABs or innings than they are getting at ST. 

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 87,039 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 05:20 PM

Love the concept of the WBC.  Haven't loved the execution, but the games have still been fun.

I want to see the best possible teams.  I'd like to see MLB shut down for 2-3 weeks every 4 years around the All-Star break and do it then...  with rosters large enough that the pro teams aren't worried about over use of their players.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#4 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 05:30 PM

Love the concept of the WBC.  Haven't loved the execution, but the games have still been fun.

I want to see the best possible teams.  I'd like to see MLB shut down for 2-3 weeks every 4 years around the All-Star break and do it then...  with rosters large enough that the pro teams aren't worried about over use of their players.

Similar to the NHL on Olympic years. I'm for it. NBA, NHL have no problem with their players treating these as games that count and going all in.

MLB though. If Kershaw blew out his elbow in the thing...If a freak injury bit Bryce Harper...that would be the end of it. Teams are so worried about inning counts, pitch counts, routines, rotations.

It's an interesting question. Would you rather see games where Kershaw goes three, the Scherzer goes three, then the bullpens finish. Next day you get a combo of say Price, Greinke. (Let's face it. No one wants to see R.A.Dickey and Ryan Voglesong again). Or would you rather see, say, Hunter Harvey go 6, 7, or more. Treat it like it matters where an injury isn't going to ruin a major leagues teams season.

MLB will treat the WBC like an exhibition if they don't use, for lack of better terms, expendable players. (Probably not the right word, but you get my drift).

@BSLMikeRandall

#5 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,931 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:43 PM

Manny Machado will play for the Dominican Republic in WBC 2017 per ESPN Deportes.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 87,039 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 01:01 PM

Manny Machado will play for the Dominican Republic in WBC 2017 per ESPN Deportes.

Hmm. I get honoring your families ancestory....  but I can't help but find it odd when someone who has been born and raised in America, plays for someone outside of the US.

The Dominican Republic will be strong as always.

I'll be rooting against Manny next Spring...

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 87,039 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:46 PM

MASN: Jones, Machado and Schoop will leave Orioles for WBC
http://www.masnsport...es-for-wbc.html

#8 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

BSL Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,066 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 09:00 AM

Machado playing for the DR is a total douche move, IMO.

Maybe after the election this becomes a little more understandable, but still, he announced this back in April.

The USA has totally underperformed in the WBC so far, I want to see them AT LEAST make the final so I want to see the best players playing for their HOME countries.

I mean this is the freaking country where baseball was invented.

#9 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,963 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 10 November 2016 - 09:42 AM

Did you have a problem when Mike Piazza played for Italy?

@DJ_McCann

#10 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,963 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 09:47 AM

Just to expand on that a bit, the best thing for the WBC is to have the best players playing. Especially the ones who actually want to participate.

Machado could represent the US, who already would have two other third basemen to possibly choose from in Bryant and Arenado. He starts for the DR team, making them better, allowing one of those two to represent the US, making the event better overall.

@DJ_McCann

#11 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,066 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:00 AM

I don't really remember him doing that but yeah, I kinda do. Same thing when Rizzo played for Italy, too. 

That said, playing for Italy is different than playing for the DR. 

I understand the heritage -- but the DR is loaded with players who were actually born in the country. 

#12 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,717 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:01 AM

Just to expand on that a bit, the best thing for the WBC is to have the best players playing. Especially the ones who actually want to participate.

Machado could represent the US, who already would have two other third basemen to possibly choose from in Bryant and Arenado. He starts for the DR team, making them better, allowing one of those two to represent the US, making the event better overall.

Was just thinking that. Manny wouldn't make the team at 3B behind Bryant, Arenado, Donaldson.

You could play him at SS. But we have seen his defense lack a little there though. In an event like this fundamentally sound teams prevail, and I'd probably sacrifice some power and out Brandon Crawford at SS. Addison Russell is a bit raw still, but the WS wasn't too big a stage for him. Would add him too.
  • BSLSeanJester likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#13 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,066 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:04 AM

Was just thinking that. Manny wouldn't make the team at 3B behind Bryant, Arenado, Donaldson.

You could play him at SS. But we have seen his defense lack a little there though. In an event like this fundamentally sound teams prevail, and I'd probably sacrifice some power and out Brandon Crawford at SS. Addison Russell is a bit raw still, but the WS wasn't too big a stage for him. Would add him too.

Thats a good point. 

+1

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#14 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,963 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:18 AM

I don't really remember him doing that but yeah, I kinda do. Same thing when Rizzo played for Italy, too. 

That said, playing for Italy is different than playing for the DR. 

I understand the heritage -- but the DR is loaded with players who were actually born in the country. 

Right, but that's a rules issue, not a player issue. I can't blame him for it.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was something suggested to him behind the scenes.

@DJ_McCann

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 87,039 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 07:47 PM

Yes.

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 87,039 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 07:48 PM

CBS Sports: Chris Archer accepts invitation to pitch in 2017 World Baseball Classic
http://www.cbssports...seball-classic/

#17 RShack

RShack

http://tinyurl.com/fake-news-BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,332 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:42 AM

Yes.

Would you care if it was some marginal US-born nobody with Italian roots?  

In the short term, who in the hell is Italy s'posed to put on the field?  I'd be surprised if their best team could beat a good high school team...

"You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at.

You have no faith to lose, and ya know it" - Bob Dylan

#18 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,066 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:43 AM

Would you care if it was some marginal US-born nobody with Italian roots?  

In the short term, who in the hell is Italy s'posed to put on the field?  I'd be surprised if their best team could beat a good high school team...

Who is "s'posed" to play for Australia or South Africa?

#19 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 62,987 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:48 AM

People have a problem with this?  Really?

“I grew up here. I was born here,” Machado said in the visiting clubhouse at Tropicana Field. “I’ve played for Team USA before. I have in the past. In 18-U, we won the gold medal. But you know what? This is something beyond that.

“I think it’s something that growing up, that my family always wanted. My mom and my grandfather, who is resting in peace right now, he always wanted to see me play for the Dominican. That’s where we come from. That’s where my family was born. I think this is more doing this for my mom and my family than anything else. I know they want to see me wear that uniform and see me out there, so it’s going to be fun for them and be fun for me. We’re just going to enjoy it and hopefully things go well and they’re finally going to get their wish.

“This is not just for me. It’s mostly for my grandfather and my parents. I know they’ve always wanted this. I know I’ve given them a lot and I think this is probably going to be the icing on the cake for me to be in the uniform where across the chest is where they were born and where they spent their lives. It’s going to be pretty cool. And I get to beat Jonathan Schoop, too.”

• Dr. FLK, Mackus, BSLSeanJester and 2 others like this
@BSLRobShields

#20 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,066 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:50 AM

I have no problem with it.

Mind changed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic