3532 replies to this topic

#3521 RShack

RShack

http://tinyurl.com/fake-news-BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,405 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:50 PM

Agreed. It happens 15-20 times a year nationwide. 15-20 times too much...But just stop doing it.

Meanwhile, *thousands* of kids per year are killed by bullets... and nobody does anything about it....

Disclaimer: I'm not anti-gun, I've got 9 10 of them... but I also don't have my head in the sand either...

"You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at.

You have no faith to lose, and ya know it" - Bob Dylan

#3522 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73,019 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted Yesterday, 07:54 PM

I actually agree with Shack.

First of all, cars are too damn expensive anyways. They are putting so much shit in them that it’s really jacking up prices.

Secondly, I don’t think it’s necessary. There are ways to get around it, like Mackus suggested...or, you know, you could just not do it.

Note: I do see how it could happen but still, you are an adult. You shouldn’t need the car companies to provide a reminder to take your kid out of a hot car.
@BSLRobShields

#3523 RShack

RShack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,405 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:56 PM

Almost as long as one of Dude’s posts.

I can remember when that would have been aimed at me...   

The king is dead... Long live the king...   ;-)

#3524 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,788 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted Yesterday, 09:24 PM

That the gov't needs to mandate safety equipment for it?  Yes, I think that's ridiculous...

What else should the gov't mandate?

I was talking about the "how can you forget" part, when two pages have literally brought up how you can forget.

Maybe it shouldn't be mandated or anything, but forgetting anything, even a child, is fully within the realm of possibility for anyone.

#3525 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,112 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted Yesterday, 09:29 PM

I was talking about the "how can you forget" part, when two pages have literally brought up how you can forget.

Maybe it shouldn't be mandated or anything, but forgetting anything, even a child, is fully within the realm of possibility for anyone.

Yep. And this continues to be a topic I'm learning not to weigh in on with certain people in my friends group. Sheesh.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#3526 bnickle

bnickle

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,145 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:47 PM

Yep. And this continues to be a topic I'm learning not to weigh in on with certain people in my friends group. Sheesh.

Its tough to fathom it ever happening to you. Until it does. The fact that this has happened numerous times to a wide variety of people tells you its possible. But I completely get the people who cant understand how it happens

#3527 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:42 PM

My biggest fear when my kids were babies was that I would put the car seat on top of the car, get settled in the car and then drive off.

• RShack likes this
@Miller192

#3528 RShack

RShack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,405 posts

Posted Today, 03:32 AM

My biggest fear when my kids were babies was that I would put the car seat on top of the car, get settled in the car and then drive off.

Good man.  I bet you never did it.  Sometimes fear is a good thing... not often, but sometimes.

#3529 RShack

RShack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,405 posts

Posted Today, 03:52 AM

Hmmm. Somehow I missed all that. Googled “Luke Scott Felix Pie”. I read this article for some context.
http://www.espn.com/...tory?id=6395744

It’s... interesting. But it sounds like he loved his Latino teammates, Adam Jones quoted as saying he never found Scott to be a racist or else he’d have squashed it. Pie loved him. Doesn’t nearly sound anything close to the type of guys Schilling and Hader are. Despite being a gun loving right winger.

With some people who have that kind of hate, it's an abstract kind of hate that doesn't apply to people they actually know... it's only aimed at "them"... but people they know don't count as "them"... they become real, not just a cartoon... 

My best friend in teenage years often came to my house and I often went to his.  His father was a great person in most ways, but he had all the standard hateful stuff about "the blacks".  At the same time, he worked with a couple black guys... and he not only liked them just fine, he'd go out of his way if they needed a favor... he'd give them the shirt off his back, just like he'd do with other people... because they were actual people to him.... same thing with my friend's older sister's black friend, she'd stay over for dinner and that was fine, he liked her, would joke around with her... but he couldn't stand "the blacks"... 

#3530 RShack

RShack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,405 posts

Posted Today, 04:14 AM

AFAIK, the main problem is the edict that has people putting the baby in the back seat... before that edict, people normally belted the kid's seat in the front seat... simply because it's natural to be near the baby where you can see the baby and touch the baby... they started the unnatural back-seat thing due to fear that airbags would harm the kid... IMO, they should change that... the kid and the kid's seat weighs whatever it weighs... it's not a lot... they should have the front passenger seat keep the airbag disabled until more weight than that sits on the seat... nobody's gonna forget a kid in the front seat...

#3531 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,788 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted Today, 05:23 AM

AFAIK, the main problem is the edict that has people putting the baby in the back seat... before that edict, people normally belted the kid's seat in the front seat... simply because it's natural to be near the baby where you can see the baby and touch the baby... they started the unnatural back-seat thing due to fear that airbags would harm the kid... IMO, they should change that... the kid and the kid's seat weighs whatever it weighs... it's not a lot... they should have the front passenger seat keep the airbag disabled until more weight than that sits on the seat... nobody's gonna forget a kid in the front seat...

I agree with that, and I think (it's a long re-read, and I'm tired) that they bring it up in the article briefly.

Nobody would forget anything that's in plain view, but, unfortunately, it isn't in plain view.

#3532 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,802 posts

Posted Today, 07:14 AM

So...

Weight-measuring gizmo in the back seat to remind you baby is in the back: ridiculous gov't intervention, most stupid thing you've ever heard of

Weight-measuring gizmo in the front seat to disable airbag: ingenious, Shack solution

#3533 Miller192

Miller192

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted Today, 09:31 AM

Good man.  I bet you never did it.  Sometimes fear is a good thing... not often, but sometimes.

No, thank god.

When I took my son to his first baseball game, Kevin Millar gave him his bat. It was a really cool moment.

I put it on top of the car as I was buckling my son in and of course drove off with the bat on top of the car.

@Miller192

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners