#2501 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted Yesterday, 05:20 PM

(And to be clear, I'm sorry for bringing no substance. I'm really full of snark and it wouldn't go well. My fb timeline is not pretty.)

#2502 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,407 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted Yesterday, 05:26 PM

The real problem is that there's so much...so much...commentary about "this is why black people can't..." that always happens in these conversations and I just can't even. It's blown out of the comments sections and come straight out of people's mouths. People need to take a step back and repeat what they say or type, and realize exactly what's being implied. 

Can you clarify what you mean by this?

@fuzydunlop

#2503 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted Yesterday, 05:38 PM

Can you clarify what you mean by this?

People feel like these situations are a gateway to talk about how they really feel about black people, because a white person being killed (bringing back the guy that got killed by the three people that got caught in Atlanta) or a cop was killed. But these same people will say "wait for the facts" and "not all cops are bad." Or take the time to talk about how oppression or privilege isn't real, or that this is all their fault. 

It's also the whole "let's not politicize this mass murder," but "BLM is a terrorist organization that caused things like this" hypocrisy that's going on. And it's being said out loud, at work, on the train, while I'm playing Pokemon (shut up), and it's just crazy. 

With the exception of one or two comments (which were backtracked to some extent), I'm really not talking about here. Just the overall atmosphere of the past week. 

• JeremyStrain, BSLBobPhelan and McNulty like this

#2504 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,407 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted Yesterday, 05:48 PM

OK.  So..tragic?...that things like that still happen.  Racist idiots are typically more comfortable to espouse shit like that around other white people, so just assume its much worse when you aren't within earshot.  The DEA guys I work with...prime examples.  

The reason I asked is that I try to be empathetic to the difficulties that minorities face in our society, but the truth is that I'm just guessing and/or repeating what others have told me, and I wanted to be sure that your complaint wasn't directed at people like me.  I wouldn't have an issue with it, but I'd like to know how I can do better (assuming that was the case).  

Clearly you were talking about something much more vile.  

• The Epic likes this

@fuzydunlop

#2505 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted Yesterday, 11:02 PM

Trying not to get too deep into the politics of it, but people are a lot more bold with this attitude than they used to be (and this time I'm definitely not talking about anyone here). The hoods are just off now. If I'm sitting on the train and I overhear a dude going, "why aren't those terrorists protesting for that police officer?" directly in front of me...like, dude.

I think, like I said before, people really need to take a step back and realize that "if I believe X, that also means that I believe Y." Because sometimes you may re-read it afterward and go "holy fuck, that's...wow...I didn't mean that at all." It's not about not-offending people. It's just understanding the meaning of your own words.

The implications that people sometimes throw out...that black people are lazy, or entitled, or fake-oppressed, or bad with money, or just not smart enough to grasp certain things, or they should just be happy that they have what little they've got instead of being in country X, or if I can do it, you can do it, and the only reason you haven't is because you didn't try...stuff like that.

In short, no, wasn't talking about you, man.

• BSLMichaelWeber and DJ MC like this

#2506 RShack

RShack

http://tinyurl.com/fake-news-BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,513 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:42 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2...-dhs/index.html

"You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at.

You have no faith to lose, and ya know it" - Bob Dylan

#2507 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted Today, 12:21 AM

I'll just put my two cents in here..

Less then 3% of the population is responsible for 70 % of the crime. It is hard to make things fair being vastly outnumbered on any level anywhere in the world.

I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#2508 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 65,830 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted Today, 07:30 AM

Trying not to get too deep into the politics of it, but people are a lot more bold with this attitude than they used to be (and this time I'm definitely not talking about anyone here). The hoods are just off now. If I'm sitting on the train and I overhear a dude going, "why aren't those terrorists protesting for that police officer?" directly in front of me...like, dude.

I think, like I said before, people really need to take a step back and realize that "if I believe X, that also means that I believe Y." Because sometimes you may re-read it afterward and go "holy fuck, that's...wow...I didn't mean that at all." It's not about not-offending people. It's just understanding the meaning of your own words.

The implications that people sometimes throw out...that black people are lazy, or entitled, or fake-oppressed, or bad with money, or just not smart enough to grasp certain things, or they should just be happy that they have what little they've got instead of being in country X, or if I can do it, you can do it, and the only reason you haven't is because you didn't try...stuff like that.

In short, no, wasn't talking about you, man.

Maybe stay away social media, at least when shit like this happens?
@BSLRobShields

#2509 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted Today, 09:17 AM

Maybe stay away social media, at least when shit like this happens?

1) If that was the case, we'd rarely be on social media. :-P

2) I think the bigger problem is that this isn't just on social media anymore. The comments section has...come to life, I guess you could say. 

#2510 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

Sr. Orioles Analyst

• Moderators
  • 65,830 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted Today, 09:38 AM

1) If that was the case, we'd rarely be on social media. :-P

2) I think the bigger problem is that this isn't just on social media anymore. The comments section has...come to life, I guess you could say.

But you still choose to read it.

I don’t know what you want. I mean, I know you want people to not be assholes but that’s literally never going to happen. Nothing will ever change hate.

So, why read the stuff that you know is going to cause you to have a bad day, bad week, etc...?

I can’t stand many things...so I just ignore them. I can’t watch the news. I have unfollowed people on twitter because I can’t stand what they post anymore.

Just push it away and you won’t get so upset.
@BSLRobShields

#2511 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted Today, 10:28 AM

But you still choose to read it.

I don’t know what you want. I mean, I know you want people to not be assholes but that’s literally never going to happen. Nothing will ever change hate.

So, why read the stuff that you know is going to cause you to have a bad day, bad week, etc...?

I can’t stand many things...so I just ignore them. I can’t watch the news. I have unfollowed people on twitter because I can’t stand what they post anymore.

Just push it away and you won’t get so upset.

Dude, I don’t think you’re hearing me. I’m not talking primarily social media. And I mean, you can’t shut off the news or your friends. You can’t just shut off life. It isn’t realistic.

I’m fully aware that assholes exist, and they breed.  I’ve been n-bombed long before tiki torches became a thing again. I’m just saying that it’s becoming a lot more acceptable to say certain things out loud, in public, face to the name. Phrases that were previously met with derision are met with shrugs.

(BTW, just for full disclosure, if you’re implying my fb status, a lot had to do with a whole bunch of family issues and the sudden death of a former co-worker. Also…and this is the social media one…two of my friends were friends with the guy that got shot. Seems like he was a great guy, but they are airing their grievances on fb in –really- dogwhistly ways and I really can’t do more than say, “I’m sorry, man,” and try to be there for them. It’s just one of those weeks where everything happened at once, from several directions.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors