#341 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:12 AM

Couldn't that last paragraph fit with that first paragraph? That Buck has taken all of his teams as far as he could, but they simply didn't quite have the talent to finish the job.

The 1996 Yankees brought in Tino Martinez to replace the rotting corpse of Don Mattingly's career, signed Mariano Duncan to replace Pat Kelly and Randy Velarde, and switched out Tony Fernandez for some rookie named Jeets. The 2001 Diamondbacks got a full Cy-Young-level season from Curt Schilling and swapped in Mark Grace for a platoon situation at first. Those are upgrades that he really didn't have available in his final season with those teams (even Schilling was traded for at the deadline in 2000).

Spot on.

But you must also question why did those teams make those moves AFTER Buck left. We all know that he has his favorites and stays with them perhaps too long (and players he won't play for whatever reason - Kim). We don't know how much input the manager has and in the case of Buck is it significant or not? 

If Buck was a finisher then why didn't these teams make those moves while he was still there?????????????

#342 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,286 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:42 AM

I don't agree with the thesis that Buck plays guys because he likes them or out of a sense of loyalty. I think Buck plays guys because he thinks they are the most likely to produce.

I think it's possible Buck values track record over recent performance perhaps too much at times when assessing who is most likely to produce. But when thinking of future performance track record is more reliable than recent performance. Of course, that's speaking in generalities. It's difficult to know when recent bad performance from someone with a good track record is a hiccup and when it is a new reality.

Buck's shown several times that he's not opposed to going to new guys with no track record when he thinks they can get the job done. Mancini pushed a lot of guys with a longer history out of the way this season. Buck also often goes to recent hot hands in the bullpen even if they don't have a long history of success, Castro and Bleier this year and Hart last year are examples. We're also largely all assuming that Hays and Sisco will get major opportunities this year despite little track record.

#343 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,170 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:46 AM

I wonder how much playing time Mancini gets if Davis didn't get hurt earlier in the year and force Buck's hand into playing Mancini every day.
@BSLMikeRandall

#344 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,286 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:51 AM

BSLMikeRandall, on 11 Oct 2017 - 11:50, said:
I wonder how much playing time Mancini gets if Davis didn't get hurt earlier in the year and force Buck's hand into playing Mancini every day.

Davis got hurt June 12th, in the team's 62nd game. By my count Mancini started 41 of the team's first 62 games, including 23 of the last 30 before Davis' injury. Buck had started playing Mancini nearly every day well before Davis' injury.  Not everyday, though, so fair to wonder.

• BSLMikeRandall and MDtransplant757 like this

#345 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:26 AM

macgif.gif

@fuzydunlop

#346 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,187 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:32 PM

If Buck was a finisher then why didn't these teams make those moves while he was still there?????????????

Because that is when those players became available?

@DJ_McCann

#347 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

BSL Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:40 PM

Because that is when those players became available?

So are you telling me that other players to get them to the next step were'nt available when Buck was still the manager? Of all four teams? Come on that makes zero sense.

#348 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:16 PM

Managers don't crate talent. I'd argue they even have a considerable secondary role in strategy these days. I've heard enough of Russell to believe he has a goo analytical thought process and has experience working with young players. My assumption is he has reasonable leadership qualities. I really thin he'd be fine. 

Oh, I acknowledge that it was impossible situation. If he's anything like Buck, I'll be happy

#349 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,538 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:18 PM

Oh, I acknowledge that it was impossible situation. If he's anything like Buck, I'll be happy

Hopefully he'd provide Buck's good qualities and fewer of his less desirable ones. 

#350 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:22 PM

Hopefully he'd provide Buck's good qualities and fewer of his less desirable ones. 

Jorge Velandia would be my target if that's the case. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors