BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,021 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:15 PM

http://www.fanragspo...sketball-heats/

"UConn will heavily explore joining another league in the offseason: The Huskies have battled injuries this season en route to a 10-12 record, but their overall cache as a program also isn’t quite what it was when they were operating in the old Big East. Kevin Ollie led UConn to a national title in 2014, but the Huskies’ brand still belongs on a bigger stage. Sources have told FanRag Sports that UConn has consistently looked into joining the Big East as a basketball only member as long as it could find another home for its football program. Other sources have stated that members of the Big East currently like the league’s double round-robin format in basketball where everyone plays each other twice and adding an 11th team could change that. A big thing to remember? The ACC will go to 20 league games during the 2019-20 season and the Big East could opt to do the same if it added the Huskies as an 11th team while keeping the double round-robin format. UConn will be better next season when it gets back Alterique Gilbert (shoulder) and Terry Larrier (ACL), but to truly return to the national scene on a high level this program may have to make a move to a more high profile league."

Conference realignment is back!

#162 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,151 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 06 February 2017 - 02:55 PM

Doesn't sound like that is going to have any kind of domino effect. From a basketball standpoint it makes sense for them to want to go back to the Big East in terms of prestige and history.

Football will never be very big there, but they have to find somewhere to play. I guess it comes down to whether the AAC would allow them to be a football-only member, like Navy, or if they would try to force UConn's hand by saying it's all-or-nothing. With the NCAA dropping the 12-team requirement to stage a CCG, the AAC doesn't really need UConn as much as UConn needs them (from a football standpoint).

• BSLChrisBacon likes this

#163 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,021 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:38 PM

Doesn't sound like that is going to have any kind of domino effect. From a basketball standpoint it makes sense for them to want to go back to the Big East in terms of prestige and history.

Football will never be very big there, but they have to find somewhere to play. I guess it comes down to whether the AAC would allow them to be a football-only member, like Navy, or if they would try to force UConn's hand by saying it's all-or-nothing. With the NCAA dropping the 12-team requirement to stage a CCG, the AAC doesn't really need UConn as much as UConn needs them (from a football standpoint).

If UConn takes all sports sans football back to the Big East, I can't see why the AAC would even fathom allowing their football team to remain. Best guess would be they ask the MAC to invite them, or they go indy with a scheduling alliance with BYU, UMass, New Mexico State, etc.

Though, the Big East invite isn't a sure thing either. I personally would favor it, but the schools love the 10-team, round-robin format. Do you keep that and go to 20 conference games or go unbalanced scheduling? I personally love the home-and-homes and would be disappointed to see it go, but I'd understand it if UConn came calling.

#164 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,062 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:57 PM

If UConn takes all sports sans football back to the Big East, I can't see why the AAC would even fathom allowing their football team to remain. Best guess would be they ask the MAC to invite them, or they go indy with a scheduling alliance with BYU, UMass, New Mexico State, etc.

Though, the Big East invite isn't a sure thing either. I personally would favor it, but the schools love the 10-team, round-robin format. Do you keep that and go to 20 conference games or go unbalanced scheduling? I personally love the home-and-homes and would be disappointed to see it go, but I'd understand it if UConn came calling.

The Big East could just kick out DePaul or something.

@DJ_McCann

#165 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,021 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:58 PM

Wouldn't that be ideal. Or maybe move Gonzaga to Chicago. 

#166 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,151 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:32 PM

I doubt the MAC would want UConn as a football-only member any more than the AAC would. I can't imagine the Huskies would bring in enough money to make up for what they would take in return.

They could try to go the independent route, UMass and Army are two conveniently-located independents they could probably easily play annually. New Mexico State would get expensive as far as travel costs vs revenue those games could generate. BYU might work, especially if UConn is wiling to occasionally play a home game somewhere like NYC or Boston. Notre Dame would be tough to schedule annually with their traditional rivals and 5 ACC games....at best UConn would have to be like Navy and play all of their "home" games at neutral sites. Add in an FCS school and you still have an entire half of a schedule, at best, to fill each year. And with the trend of the Power 5 conferences going to 9 game in-conference schedules, it's getting even harder for the indys to schedule.

End of day, UConn just isn't in a situation where they have any real leverage. As you said, the Big East probably isn't that bent on wanting them back. They are likely best right where they are for now. Then hope that once the TV contracts for the Power 5 conferences start expiring over the next 5-10 years, the big boys decide to expand even more, and the Huskies can polish up their resume.

#167 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,151 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:42 PM

Damn, I'm old enough (just barely) to remember when they were a powerhouse.

#168 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,021 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:04 AM

http://www.fanragspo...ions-expansion/

#169 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,151 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:11 PM

ESPN: Liberty football moving to FBS, reclassification begins in 2019

No word on a potential conference affiliation (the Sun Belt recently turned them down). One question.....WHY???

#170 RShack

RShack

http://tinyurl.com/fake-news-BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,370 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:59 PM

ESPN: Liberty football moving to FBS, reclassification begins in 2019

No word on a potential conference affiliation (the Sun Belt recently turned them down). One question.....WHY???

I wonder... do they point at the sky after every play?

"You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at.

You have no faith to lose, and ya know it" - Bob Dylan

#171 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,021 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:03 PM

Shockers to the AAC?

http://www.kansas.co...e139945788.html

Would be a smart get to improve basketball for the conference.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#172 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,021 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:47 AM

http://www.espn.com/...etic-conference

Shockers moving for 2017-18 season.

#173 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,021 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:46 AM

Wichita State to AAC official, later today.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#174 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,021 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:07 AM

Valpo to the MVC, replacing Wichita State.

The Valley will stay at 10 teams.

#175 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 88,651 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:46 PM

Sports on Earth: Irish Still Don't Need a Conference

#176 BSLJimJohnson

BSLJimJohnson

BSL Terps / Big Ten Analyst

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:25 PM

I read two pieces from different national sites that think there could be another reshuffling in a few years; most likely when TV contracts start to expire in 2023 and 2024. 

The ACC and SEC are pretty well locked in due to an extended "grant-of-right" clause that runs into the 2030's, which essentially means that if a school leaves one of these conferences, the conference would still control their TV rights-meaning it ain't gonna happen. 

The one exception, despite the article linked above, could be Notre Dame, since they are not full football members in the ACC, and therefore don't get as much TV revenue as some of the other schools-ironic since they were the first school with their individual deal with NBC.

I think the most likely scenario would be the Pac 12 making a big move for Texas and Oklahoma, given the problems they are having getting their conference TV network off the ground-notice how it all points back to TV.  That would certainly break up the rest of the Big 12-maybe West Virginia could get into the ACC, and the Big 10 might gobble up Kansas (and Notre Dame-that's where they belong, anyway IMHO), who just announced they are putting $300 million into their football stadium and facilities.  Seems wildly optimistic to me...unless that is designed to position them for the next round of musical chairs.

#177 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

BSL CFB Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,151 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:27 AM

ESPN: How realignment knocked Notre Dame off its pedestal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users